Saturday, August 05, 2006

A Lesson Returned

You know, it's interesting what insights can happen during times in life. My reminiscing is in reflection of Monday night's devotional at camp, which I led in our cabin at Winkler Bible Camp. I was talking to my guys regarding Hebrews 11:1. In it the author says: "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." I used this Scripture in a two level teaching: 1) For my guys, who are all churched, in order to encourage them to stick with it in case of doubt in their lives. 2) To encourage them that their lives are the proof of their hope, and certainty of what unbelievers do not see.
Basically, I told the guys in my cabin that the hope that they have, the Love of God and Salvation in Christ Jesus, was their proof of God and purposeful life in a world of unbelievers. That, despite skeptical proof-finders in our society [not to say that everyone is a skeptic--or even a cynic] the guys can be evidence of God through their lives. They can prove God by acting out the love that they have from God towards other people. I told them that that is what truly attracts unbelievers to God. In a world of science and 'answers', I told them, the one true proof of God that we have to offer them is the hope that we know lives within us as Christ's followers.
Now, this is all very profound and even a bit homeletical, but the thing was that night, I didn't really prepare anything for devos. I just winged it and that's the lesson that came out. So, I guess it wasn't just me talking that night, but perchance it was the movement of the Spirit in me.
How interesting and inspiring. Those words that I said that night had never entered my mind before, and after that even I was edified.
So a lesson that I led was a lesson to me in return. Like the old saying goes, "eureka!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home